December 10, 2010

Christmas Traditions

Christmas Traditions



One of the family traditions I started when our daughters were little is that when the family was here on Christmas Eve, the youngest child in each of the families present would place Baby Jesus in the manger after everyone had arrived.  The children looked forward to it and it was an exciting time to remind us all of the real meaning of Christmas.  I hope that someday it will be a tradition that our daughters will choose pass on to their children.

Once again, we will host open house on Christmas Eve.  In 36 years of marriage there is only one year we did not host open house.  Today I'm off to the market to see what hors d'oeuvres are available.  For many years, I prepared for Christmas Eve spending days cooking our family's traditional ragou, tourtière and pies (my Mémère's recipes the my Mother's).  Some of the nephews and nieces have used the recipes handed down so I don't do much of that anymore. Though some traditions change they are the same.  Life is a paradox.


Wherever you will be this Christmas Eve and Christmas, I hope you enjoy family traditions or good memories of Christmas past!  May you know the warmth and comfort of family and friends - know that I will be thinking of all of you in my own way and a prayer will be said that all of you know the many blessings that Christmas can bring!

Love,

Your cousin Lucie

 
Acadian Ancestral Home


All Rights Reserved
Lucie's Legacy
Lucie LeBlanc Consentino

4 comments:

Lori E said...

Traditions are important for kids Lucie. It grounds them and reminds them their family is there for them.

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Thank you for your post Lori!

I totally agree with you. Traditions can really make a difference in a person's life and I know they did in mine.

Lucie

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I love this post! We used to wait until after Christmas Eve service to place the baby Jesus in the manger, too. And now we follow the Spanish tradition of moving the 3 Kings around the house, closer and closer until they finally reach the manger on Jan. 6th. My daughter used to wake up every morning and hunt for the 3 Kings when she was little. Thanks for nice memories.

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Hi Heather - well that is an awfully nice tradition also. It is interesting to see the different traditions that have been carried on.

Lucie